Tuesday, February 16, 2010

The 1953-54 Fresh-Soph Squad



Lynne and Nancy have been busy looking through the Index archives. This scan from the Sports Section reminded Lynne of the movie Hoosiers--except for the white shoes. Lynne identifies line up as: Back row: Phil E, Moe K, Ray G, Dave S, Jon M, Chuck W, Larry B; Middle row: Glenn R, Dick Z, Dave B, Ron D, Mike S, Mike B; Front row; Gene H, Dick H, Stan M, Dave B, Bob H, Murray T.

The coach was Ray Walder, a graduate of Iowa State Teachers College and our General Science and Biology teacher. He led the "Moundets" to 15 wins and 5 loses that season, with only 2 returning lettermen. In the Conference, they finished with 7 wins and 1 loss. The main 8 lettering players were 6 sophomores--Stan, Dick, Bobby, Murray, Dave and Gene, with our own Dave B and Dick Z adding a lot of glam and action.

6 comments:

Mike and Judy said...

Does anyone know what happened to Ray Walder? We've heard from Burstrom and JR is gone, but not anything from Walder. Mike B

Mike and Judy said...

Ahhh, my old basketball team- I was such a great player that I usually tripped over the free throw line. Perfected a shot from the half court line. It was the only shot I had. It was a two handed George Blanchard type set shot. Never touched the backboard, rim or the net.

Norma said...

I've never heard what became of Ray, but someone by that name is on FB, so I've sent an inquiry. Possibly someone else closer to MMHS history than I might know.

Anonymous said...

confident that Sherlock and Watson will find what happend to coach Walters..good thinking...isn't this fun...this "try to Remember' stuff...

Anonymous said...

Murray sez:
I thought the reason I wasn't looking at coach Walder is that I was either looking at Norma C going by or the practicing cheerleaders. Then I noticed Larry B was not looking that direction so I figured it must be the cheerleaders.

Norma said...

Maybe you were ADHD before they had a term for it.