Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Update from Mike on his hip surgery


Well, here I am two weeks to the day after my surgery (September 21 from an entry at his blog). I have a nurse come to see me once a week to check my vital signs and to check my blood to see how the various drugs are affecting me. They ask me to evaluate my pain on a scale of 0-10. I'm pleased to say that it is a 0 most of the time, with and occasional 2-3. Most of that pain is not from my hip, but from my other muscles which are taking over the task of supporting my weight that I cannot put on my hip.

There are 3 things that I must keep in mind, according to the doctor. 1) Only 50% weight on my left leg, no more; 2) the angle of my body bending at the waist cannot exceed 90 degrees; and 3) my foot and leg cannot cross a line equidistant between my feet. So crossing my legs is a no-no. Also I must walk like a duck with my left foot pointed to the outside of my body. It must not be forced to turn to the inside. These things are getting hard to remember as it is difficult, with no pain, to resist just getting out and running or jumping or climbing trees, as I feel that I can readily do all that.

I sleep at night very well, but it must be on my back. I have adjusted to that as I am a side sleeper. Judy said that I snore mightily on my back. So to insure a sound night for her, I must sleep where all my growling bear noises cannot be heard by anyone. (She suggested the car in the garage, but I nixed that.) I am still a little uncomfortable sitting and typing on the computer as it is close to the 90 degree rule. As time allows, and time does march on here, I will keep anyone interested apprised of my progress in future blogs. Thanks for reading. Mike

For the complete story of Mike's hip problems, which actually began about three years ago, please go to his Owensville blog where he explains how it began, worsened after a fall, and then the procedure and  prognosis.

Update on Mike's progress as of October 13.

2 comments:

Norma said...

You don't look much over 17 in the photo--a little young for a hip replacement. Wonder if all those sports small town boys play while growing come back to haunt them later? Can't think of one you missed.

Anonymous said...

I've had to sleep on my back for 10 years now...I finally got used to it...but my hair will forever stick up in the back...gives new meaning to "bed hair" but I can remember when I had every little hair so I really don't mind. As we age, I think we adapt to so many things...and are lucky we can. Glad to hear Mikie is doing well.Fran had a hip replaced and it went very well for her, too. Keep up the good work...and I'll hope to see you dance with Judy at our next class reunion!