Monday, October 04, 2010

Funeral for Classmate Marvin Miller on October 9

From the Ogle County Life:

"COLUMBIA, MO — Marvin R. Miller, 71 passed away Aug. 29, 2010, in Columbia. Born August 21, 1939 in Freeport.
He served in the United States Army Reserve and was stationed in Germany during the Korean war.  He grew up in Mt. Morris  where he  resided and worked at Kable Printing Company  until moving to Columbia,  MO in 1974.
He is survived by sons Charlie (Lisa) Miller of Menomonie, WI; Andrew Miller Webster of Eau Claire, WI; and Frank Miller of High Bridge, WI.  Grandchildren are Ash and Tyler Miller of Menomonie, WI and Lilly Miller of High Bridge, WI.  Sister, Dianna (Wayne) Kretsinger of Leaf River, IL and several nieces and nephews.  He is predeceased by parents Edna Cullen and Kenneth Miller and brother John Miller. 
Military Honors will be held at the graveside in Oakwood Cemetery in Mt. Morris on Saturday, Oct. 9 at 3 p.m."
Note: I think the author of the obituary made an error on the era in which Marv served in the military--the Korean War ended in July 1953, the year we graduated from grade school. Sylvia Hageman of our 1957 class was his step-sister. His brother John (d. 2008) was a freshman when we were seniors and I think Dianna was a few years younger.

Our archivist Nancy S. found this great photo of the class walking in the 1992 July 4 parade and Marv is out front.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

For those who remember Marv as only clowning around in school. I know he had a serious side. Anyone who ever saw him with those three adorable boys of his knew he was a devoted dad. Aside from the two in-depth coversations we shared as adults, the one thing that I rmemeber most happened in high school. One rainy day about our junior year...gym was inside- and boys and girls together when in rained in the Spring. This day in poured....our choices were prison ball,square dancing or volleyball. This time Lew and Katie said volleyball and they split us up into two teams...Marv and I were on the same side..during this game,which was spirited,my left shoe came untied..I bent over to tie it not wanting to face my own team but rather the others kids -just as someone served the ball. It hit my fanny and lofted over the net the nicest return you'd ever want to see....only Marv and I saw it...this, I thought, was lucky but then I thought"Oh,gosh,he'll make me the laughing stock of the whole school it is just a matter of time"...we looked at each other and we were gone,it was hours before we regained ourselves...each time we saw each other that day, in the hall,study hall or classroom we would laugh so hard we hurt and had tears. And to his credit he never said a word to anyone...not a soul. I was so grateful to him,he wasn't one to not seize the opportunity to share a joke at someones expense. En route home that afternoon Nancy and Fran asked what was so darn funny.-I told them-Fran(who was often the subjet of Marvs jokes) said"Man, you were lucky" and Nancy didn't think it was funny at all...I guess you had to be there. I was one grateful tenneager that Spring day...and when I think of Marv that is what first jumps into my mind...Priscilla rmembered him this morning as a great dancer and they would always dance together to the Picnic and Moonglow combitation from the soundtrack of the movie "Picnic",which we both watched again here recently. Funny how a tune brings make memories.
A few of us will be going Saturday afternoon to the graveside service at Oakwood.Coming back to Mt. Morris for his final rest,It is fitting.Time and chance happens to us all.

Andrew Miller said...

Andrew Miller here, Marv's penultimate son... My dad was fun. He sends me undeniable messages from the Other Side all the time. I think I worry him. Apparently I pretty much AM my dad. Very, very similar in so many ways. Growing up, I was always a champion at 'Show and Tell' because of the cool and unique gifts I got from Dad. He was a cool dude.