Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Summer movies at The Lamb, July 1955

If we got tired of swimming, golf, playing baseball, hanging out with friends, roller skating at the White Pines, or meeting at the summer band concerts and needed a break from babysitting, mowing lawns, helping mom in the garden, detasseling corn, or working part time at one of the many small businesses . . . there was always The Lamb Theatre! Here's an advertisement, supplied by Lynne and Nancy, our busy historians, for Daddy Long Legs with Fred Astaire and Leslie Caron, Blackboard Jungle (shocking! says Lynne) with Glenn Ford and Anne Francis, which helped boost "Rock around the clock" to #1, and of course, the Saturday kiddie show (my favorite) Riders of the Purple Sage (1931, based on Zane Grey novel) plus 4 cartoons. Ah, small towns in the 50s--we probably didn't appreciate the peace and quite then, but isn't if fun to misremember!

5 comments:

Mike and Judy said...

I remember Jim Lamb, the owner of the theater. He was always cleaning up the Men's room. Saturday matinees included free cartoons. Meet your girl friend inside, so you didn't have to pay for her admission, and sit in the double seats. Popcorn was always so good and salty. No butter then.

Anonymous said...

Ahh yes.... those double seats. The best way to get acquainted with the girl of your dreams! From double seats to back seats, those were the days.
-- Murray

Norma said...

I thought the reason we all bought our own tickets was because we were too young to date! Now I know you were just cheap!

Lynne said...

Remember the "spook" shows...they are now called horror films..Nancy,Fran, Priscilla and I talked our parent into letting us go to a couple...but the walk/run home wasn't worth it...we were so scared...I remember one with Zombies in it...that was it...I never went again...and even the movie they showed us after our senior prom was a horror film..something about giant ants, I think...I like musicals or romances with a happy ending...and I just can't watch war films anymore...even with John Wayne in it saving everybody and winning the war. My mom took me to see some old films ,they showed them on Tuesday nights..and that was when I first saw "Grapes of Wrath" with my mom explaining the dust bowl to me en route home...I was young(16) and very alarmed by it,but she felt it would be educational for me, I guess...she then suggested I read the book...I was a senior when I finally did and Mrs. Price had me give an oral report on it...I got a "A" but always felt I had cheated because I had seen the movie.. The Lam is now an apartment...with the flowers pots where the door used to be...

Norma said...

The animal movies were the saddest. But I loved the great 50's musicals. Singing in the Rain, South Pacific, and all the ones I've forgotten.